Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Delicious Pain

Pain. A four lettered word that encompasses an ocean of feelings. Hurt. Ache. Sorrow. Suffering. This seemingly tiny four lettered word is a bitch. 

Can you define pain? 


Yes and No. 


No, I cannot define it in so many words like you define Gravity. But Yes, I can define in a thousand words or more, what it feels like to go through it. 


And despite the reputation that precedes it, we go running headlong towards it.


I might even venture to say, people are attracted to it.


Yes, you read me right. Attracted.


They willingly bring it upon themselves.


Why, you ask?


I'm trying to figure that out myself.


Why are some people just addicted to pain?


And when they're not, they enjoy it vicariously.


Think Edward Cullen. Yes, that shiny vampire with a permanent constipated scowl.

Why are teenage girls addicted to this "sick masochistic lion"? I'm hoping you have an answer to it because it seriously beats me!

Bella Swan. Stupid lamb or whatever. Why do people actually want to be her? I mean, isn't it kind of really tiring to be the damsel in peril all the time?


And don't even get me started on Fifty Shades of Grey.


“It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.” says Chuck Palahniuk.


Is it true? Do we just want to feel pain because its a... stronger emotion? Because it is more enduring, and makes its presence felt, unlike say, happiness or calm?


Because it leaves scars. Permanent souvenirs. Something to look at and remember the past. 


Isn't that why people are addicted to cutting?


Because... at least you feel... something.


Maybe, feeling pain is better than not feeling anything at all.


Maybe pain reminds us that we are still capable of feeling.



Are we addicted? Or do we just happen to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over?


Do we not learn from our mistakes? Or do we consciously choose to ignore?


What is it about pain that keeps us coming back?


What is it about pain..


And I know it hurts,

I can't take it anymore
But somehow it doesn't astonish me
That I keep on coming back for more...
More and more...
It's like a habit I can't leave,
Shackles of pain bind me
And I can't seem to escape
It's like a drug I can't forsake...



"Sometimes, greater the pain, the more fiercely someone will cling to it. ... Our addiction to pain is one of the toughest problems to solve in human psychology." - Deepak Chopra.













No comments:

Post a Comment